Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Politics and relationships

I first became politically aware when I was 10 or 11, around the time of the first gulf war. At the time I was mostly curious about why I kept seeing pictures of tanks, guns and planes on the evening news. Within the space of a month I became conversant (in a simplisitic 10 year old way) on the geo-political situation surrounding Saddam, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and this little country no one had heard of named Kuwait. In case your wondering, at the time I was opposed to that particular war. My opinion has since changed.

 As I grew up political awareness became an important part of my identity, and while most of my classmates discussed Michael Jordan's latest feats (or footwear), I could explain, in detail, the political and economic failures of sub-sahara Africa and why, exactly, the Serbians and Bosnians couldn't seem to get along. I never could explain why US soldiers got stuck in the middle of it, but at the time neither could the people who sent them there.

Then I got married. To someone who's political opinions are diametrically opposed to mine. At first I thought we could just agree to disagree and move on, but it has become more complicated than that. I'm finding that many, many aspects of marriage are more complicated than I expected.

I've decided I cannot be politically engaged and married to Tori at the same time, and I really like being married to Tori.

So I've deleted the twitter account I used basically for a political feed reader. My Google Reader subscription list has been pruned significantly, and I have executed my own personal Night of the Long Knives on Facebook. Bookmarks have been deleted, browser histories have been wiped and I'm not sure what I'm going to change my browser's homepage to, but it's not going to be CNN anymore. (Sorry, CNN. It's not you, it's me. Well, that's not exactly true, see, it's like this…)

As for this blog, I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I never intended to make it as political as it has become (for all of 12 posts, don't laugh), I might try to post on other, non-political nerdy things, or I might just lose interest. Time will tell.

That's true of many things right now, time will tell...

1 comment:

  1. Dan without politics is like pizza without pepperoni. All that's left is cheese.

    Just kidding Dan, I have enjoyed reading your blog and I hope you keep sharing your perspective on things because, frankly I enjoy reading it. So do it for my sake. Your public needs you.

    ReplyDelete